Alex van der Steen was born in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. In 1991 Alex graduated from the H.K.U. (Hoge School voor de Kunsten in Utrecht), a renowned art-academie based in the Netherlands. After having experience in designing mens’ collections, Alex started working as a designer for Lee and Wrangler in Brussels, Belgium.
After 3 years, Alex decided to continue his career doing styling for photoshoots. Soon after this decision Alex ended up being fashion director for the famous mens’ magazine Squeeze, which was a big succes for many years. Alex’s signature can be described as street conscious meets sophistication and polished minimalistic luxury.
His way of styling style is remarkable because he knows how to build outfits in layers.Alex has been styling for the likes of Elle, Marie-Claire, Glamour, Red, JFK, Stijl magazine, Jackie magazine, Dutch, Ilovefake magazine, Avantgarde, Grazia and Glamcult.After working for 15 years in the European market Alex moved to New York City to expand his horizon.
Soon Alex started working for international titles like: l’Officiel, Fashion Inc., Vestal magazine, Fiasco magazine, Metal magazine, Bullett magazine, Surface magazine, Essential homme, August man, GQ, Vibe, The ones to watch (models.com), Schon, And men, Cosas Moda, Elle Mexico, Blank magazine, Fault Magazine
- fashion director Squeeze
- fashion director Red magazine
- fashion consultancy for WE, one of the most important clothing department stores in Europe
- consultancy for Jeroen van Tuyl, mens’ designer:www.jeroenvantuyl.com
- consultancy for Score, denim chain stores in the Netherlands and Belgiumeditorials
- consultancy and styling for the collection of designer Winde Rienstra during the ‘Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2013′
- teaching styling at the HKU (Hoge School voor de Kunsten Utrecht)
- consultancy and styling for the collection of Anne de Gruijff during the ‘Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2013′
- consultancy and styling show MOAM 2013
elle | marie-claire | glamour | red | jfk | stijl | jackie | dutch | Ilovefake | avantgarde | blend | glamcult | graziainternational editorials L’Officiel | vestal | fiasco | metal | bullett | surface | essential homme | august man | cosas moda | GQ | vibe | the ones to watch | schon | and men | elle mexico | blank magazine | fault magazine | WE | score | philips | bjorn borg | bart’s | fellows | turnover | bijenkorf | tommy hilfiger | mexx | keune | blackstone | levi’s I Diesel | Dante6 | Linda magazine | Prestage magazine